Thursday, June 17, 2010

Across the Strait of Gibralter

Well, after a tremendous visit to Andalucia, I turned twenty three on a boat traveling to Tangier, satisfying the namesake of my blog.  Maghreb reached.  Tangier is fun, but it's not really my scene so I'm headed to Chefchaouen in the Rif Mountains tomorrow.  My to-do list includes finding a small musical instrument and eating lots of avocados.  These seem eminently achievable.

I'm surprisingly getting caught up in this World Cup business, though I maintain soccer is just a slow, sissy version of hockey.  I would like it a lot better if it weren't a third play-acting for the refs.  Anyway, I've been meeting Moroccans in the cafes watching the games.  My rooting strategy follow:

1. USA
2. Do I know someone from this country?
     a. Do I like this person? If yes, root for this country.
3. Have I been treated poorly by this country's public transit system?  If yes, root against this country (Greece).
4. Was this country ever occupied or colonized by their opponent?  If yes, root for this country.
5. Otherwise, West Africa over Latin America over Europe.

1 comment: