Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Coptic Werewolves of Cairo

Not a regular post today, just an anecdote.

After showing Andrew and Liz through Coptic Cairo (Look it's St. Damiana and the 40 Virgins!  Hey Pope Shenouda!), I led them into one of my favorite parts of town, the run-down Coptic cemetery.  There aren't many open, park-like spaces in Cairo, so you have to appreciate them where you find them.  Sometimes, a creepy cemetery with a few open graves has to do.

After we got away from a guard demanding bakshish and a guy with an Elmo voice wanting to guide us through the tombs, we turned down a lane of graves.  A few dogs barked.

[I should note, that this morning I had been reading that rabies in Egypt is "endemic"]

They barked louder.  Then they started running towards us.  We started running away.

Liz was bumped by one, but we otherwise remained unscathed.  As we made our way out, I thought aloud: I may not be faster than a rabid dog, but I am faster than Liz.  And really, that's all I need to be.

2 comments:

  1. i maintain that i protected both the men from the dogs in the Coptic cemetery - there were like 20, and i beat them off with a spare roll of toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best anecdote of all time.
    And don't you dare try and pretend that an old cemetary isn't equal to or greater than a well trimmed park. In fact, I would have to argue that a graveyard with elmo-man (that is going to give me nightmares) and rabid dogs is probably the best thing ever and an excellent place to go read Great Expectations or something. Nice going.

    ReplyDelete