Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Artifacts

My wanderings in the last few weeks have led to some awesome discoveries.  On one walk from my house to Downtown via Wadi Saqra, I found three things of note.

First, I saw a bra in the gutter.  Having recently attended an American college, my first thought was, "Ouch.  Someone had a rough night."  Then I remembered that I'm in Jordan so it probably just fell off a clothes line. 

The second thing I saw was a lonely UNO card.  Considering that children don't wear seatbelts here, I'm shocked that the whole deck wasn't littered along the road.


Finally, I happened upon a car with a peculiar license plate.  Did they take a wrong turn en route to North Carolina?


And then yesterday, it rained!  Apparently, it had previously rained while I was in Dubai, but this was my first rain in Amman, and it was quite a sight to behold.  The streets aren't really designed to handle the water, so huge lakes form even from a thirty minute storm.

So that wasn't a real post, but I thought I needed something positive to counteract the negativity of my last dispatch. 

2 comments:

  1. Very happy about all these things. In particular the plate. But most of all how ironic that uno card is. Jealous of your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again...TOOO FUNNY!!
    Are you applying for a Saturday Night Stand up act in Jordan?
    LOVED the post - and you are right - they driver could have been heading towards West Virginia and just figured they finally had arrived!!

    ReplyDelete