Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Adventures in Engrish!

So I start my volunteering tomorrow at the Jesuit Refugee Center and the Chaldean Patriarchate, so I thought I'd take a break from lesson-planning and pass along a few "English" tidbits.

On menu at cafe: "drink flavor herpes" (they meant herbs)

Advertisement for English class: "can you speak English?"
"Yes, I am!"

And all over town, there are a bunch of "hair saloons.". That's my favorite.

Inshallah, I can make a difference. First lesson: herbs is spelled with a b.


1 comment:

  1. You don't know how happy this post made me!
    I am so glad you've seen the saloons as well... I thought I was crazy at first when I saw them. But I have enjoyed my daydreams of women getting perms and having old western style shoot outs. Glad to hear your project is going so well already : )

    ReplyDelete