Friday, July 31, 2009

Arrival

Well, here goes nothing. I arrived in Amman a couple hours ago after about twenty hours of travel. Surprisingly, there were no immediately apparent complications, and considering that this is a Eastern Mediterranean bureaucracy and transit system, I am awed.

On my flight from London, we flew over the tip of Cyprus, Tripoli, and Damascus. I could see Bab Tuma from the air, and I wish I could go back, but I get how important unfamiliarity is during a Watson adventure. No point in re-doing an old trip.

My friend Manaf (our uncles know each other) picked me up at the airport and took me to his house, where I'm staying tonight before I move into a normal apartment tomorrow. We drank tea and ate takeout, a good introduction ro the city. This is probably the nicest place I'll stay all year. Only for tonight though, it's gold everything. And there's a servant. Not sure how to feel about that.

Anyways, I hung out with Manaf (who's a doctor), his brother Abdullah (who is training to be a pilot), and one of their friends who is Jordanian-American.

I wish I had more substantive news to share, but alas, I do not. I should end by saying no jokes in the comments about Abdullah's career training, and I wish I would've named this blog "listening to Taylor Swift in Amman."




1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safely and are ready to begin a year of enlightening travel and intellectual curiosity while I'm stuck here smacking my forehead while explaining the difference between "save" and "save as" to my coworkers for the umpteenth time.

    Liz and I got our vacation time approved for the last two weeks of January - let me know when we should buy plane tickets!

    - Andrew

    ReplyDelete